More information below the photo
Temple Freda, built in 1912, is the oldest religious structure in Bryan, the only Jewish temple in the country to be named after a woman and one of only two Jewish temples in the world to be named for a non-biblical woman. It is named for Ethel Freda Kaczer, whose husband, Benjamin Kaczer, was president of the community when the synagogue was built.
As congregants moved to a newer synagogue in College Station the building declined. It was loaned to new congregations of other faiths and later became a project of the Center of Heritage Conservation of Texas A&M University. Temple Freda is currently co-owned by the City of Bryan. Working with the Brazos Heritage Society, the City has received several grants and a major restoration project is planned.
photo: Mike Gross December 2017
205 Parker St., Bryan, Texas
Coordinates: 30.672554, -96.375256
reference/ more information: The Eagle (Bryan): Bryan’s historic Temple Freda awaits its turn for revitalization https://theeagle.com/brazos_life/bryan-s-historic-temple-freda-awaits-its-turn-for-revitalization/article_c5269104-e5e7-11e6-a08a-d36cc24a791f.html