Nuestra Señora de la Paz Mission
See more information below the photos
Misión Nuestra Señora de la Paz
(Our Lady of Peace Mission)
Nuestra Señora de la Paz was apparently built in 1917. A plaque on the wall notes that it was dedicated on July 30, 1917, at the same time as a wedding was performed there. It is a mission of Santa Teresa de Jesús in Presidio, and is part of the Catholic Dioceses of El Paso.
Candelaria is about 50 miles west of Presidio,TX, on TX SH 170. TX 170 ends in Candelaria, and there are many miles of roadless country along the river between here and Fort Hancock, near El Paso. Until 2008 there was a footbridge in Candelaria over the river to the town of San Antonio del Bravo on the Mexican side. It gave Candelaria residents access to the health clinic in San Antonio, the only one for many miles; and gave San Antonio residents access to the better roads on the Texas side, allowing them to go into Presidio to shop. For many decades the two communities existed as one. In June of 2008 the bridge was destroyed by the U.S. Border Patrol.
photos: Mike Gross February 2018
Location: on TX SH 170 in Candelaria, TX