Haynie Chapel
Austin (Del Valle - Garfield), Texas

See information below the photo

Haynie Chapel United Methodist Church
Austin (Del Valle - Garfield), Texas

Founded by Reverend John Haynie and a small congregation on June 27, 1839, Haynie Chapel is the oldest United Methodist church in Travis County. The first church building was a log house adjacent to Houston Springs on land donated by Andrew Deavers Houston. In l876, logs from the first church were moved south of the original location to a site that is now the cemetery. After the cemetery became overcrowded, the church relocated to the present site in 1907. The church pre-dates the town of Garfield, which was founded in 1880.

Haynie Chapel was restored in 1989. The ceiling was restored to the original arched beaded wood and the carbide lights were converted to electricity and re-hung in the sanctuary. A wooden cross, handcrafted by Bill Plato, was hung on the wall behind the pulpit and side lighting was added. Today Haynie Chapel is an active congregation of the United Methodist Church. Garfield is located on and north of TX SH  71 between Del Valle and Webberville.

According to Rev . Jim Harrell, who was pastor at Haynie Chapel until his death in 2015, John Haynie was the first Protestant minister to preach a sermon in Travis County, performed the first recorded marriage in Travis County in 1840 and served as the first chaplain employed by the Congress of the Republic of Texas. After Texas became a part of the United States, Haynie frequently served as chaplain for the Texas Legislature. He died in 1860.

photos: Mike Gross November 2020

Location: 16309 Greenwood Dr, Garfield (Del Valle), Texas
coordinates: 30.189064300,-97.559575100

Return to home page

Copyright © All rights reserved.
Using Format